Jun 15, 2024  
2024-2026 Academic Catalog 
2024-2026 Academic Catalog

Financial Aid


The Financial Aid Office is committed to helping Garden City Community College students reach their educational goals. Students may contact the office for answers to questions about applying for aid, receiving aid, and transferring aid to another college. For specific  information, contact the Financial Aid Office at (620) 276-9519. The Financial Aid office is located in the Student Community Service Center. Office hours are Mon-Thurs 8am-4:30pm and Fri 8am-4pm. Summer hours are Mon-Thurs 8am-4pm and Fri 8am-noon. Email finaid@gcccks.edu to schedule appointment outside of normal operating hours. More information about federal financial aid and scholarships can be found at  https://www.gcccks.edu/Tuition_Cost/default.aspx

Application Process

To apply for Federal Student Financial Aid, students must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The student’s official high school transcript, GED and all college/university transcripts must be on file in the Admissions Office. If the applicant’s Student Aid Report is selected for “verification,” the student is asked to provide additional documentation. GCCC school code for FAFSA (001919).

Student Eligibility Requirements

Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible to receive Student Financial Aid:

  • Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Have a high school diploma or GED. Students cannot be concurrently enrolled in high school/home school, including alternative high schools.
  • Be enrolled as a degree or certificate seeking student in an eligible program of study.
  • Make satisfactory academic progress toward earning a degree or certificate in an eligible program.

REMINDER: Federal financial aid can only be awarded/disbursed for classes that count toward your degree or certificate at Garden City Community College. Federal financial aid will not be awarded/disbursed for classes that have already met your degree or certificate requirements.


Students who are enrolled in an eligible career pathway program, on or after July 1, 2014, and who are not high school graduates, may be eligible to receive Title IV aid if the student meets one of the following Ability-To-Benefit (ATB) alternatives.

  • Passes an independently administered Department of Education approved ATB test.
  • Completes at least 6 credit hours or 225 clock hours that are applicable toward a degree or certificate offered by the postsecondary institution.

A student who meets one of those alternatives may use that alternative to establish his or her Title IV eligibility at any eligible Title IV institution where the student enrolls in an eligible career pathway program.

Eligible career pathway programs contain two (2) components:

  • An adult education component, and
  • A Title IV eligible postsecondary program component” The Adult Education Component is defined as academic instruction and education services below the postsecondary level that increases an individual’s ability to:
  • Read, write, and speak in English and perform mathematics or other activities necessary for the attainment of a secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent;
  • Transitions to postsecondary education and training;
  • Obtains employment

The definition of eligible program includes all coursework of Title IV academic programs;

  • Be at least a two-academic-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s degree; OR
  • Be at least a one-academic-year training program that leads to a certificate, or other non-degree recognized credential, and prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation.

Types of Aid

U.S. Department of Education Federal Financial Aid

  • Federal Pell Grant
    A Federal Pell Grant helps undergraduates pay for their education after high school. Pell Grants are need-based and, for those who qualify, provide a foundation of financial aid to which aid from other sources may be added. Unlike loans, grants generally do not have to be repaid.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
    The FSEOG is available to students who demonstrate exceptional need. Students must be eligible for a Pell Grant to receive FSEOG. FSEOG is very limited at Garden City Community College, so students must apply early to receive full consideration for this award. FSEOG awards normally do not have to be repaid.
  • Federal Work-Study
    The Federal Work-Study Program provides part-time employment for students with financial need. Students work in college facilities or in approved community programs.
  • Federal Direct Stafford Loans
    Stafford Loans at GCCC are low-interest loans made through the federal government. These loans must be repaid.
  • Federal PLUS Loan
    The PLUS Loan program allows parents to borrow to help pay for their student’s education. Like Stafford Loans, PLUS Loans at GCCC are borrowed through the federal government.

GCCC Institutional Aid

  • Scholarships
    Scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate promise of outstanding achievement in their educational pursuits. Most scholarships require full-time enrollment. Complete information and the online scholarship application is available on the Financial Aid page of GCCC’s website.
  • Activity Scholarships
    Activity Scholarships are available through various departments on campus, amounts vary.

Additional Financial Aid Assistance

  • Veterans Administration Benefits
    Veterans, spouses, and children of disabled or deceased veterans may qualify for special education benefits. Students should contact their local Veteran’s Administration Office for further information. All VA benefits received must be reported through the Registrar.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation
    Students with physical or emotional disabilities may qualify for special assistance. Students should contact the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services in their area.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Federal regulations require that a student must be making “satisfactory academic progress” toward a degree or transfer program leading to a bachelor’s degree to be eligible to receive federal financial aid. GCCC will review each student requesting financial assistance from the College to determine if satisfactory academic progress is being met; the review are based on all academic transcripts. Enrollment periods and transfer hours that were completed during a term in which financial aid was not received are included in the calculation.

Academic progress standards are evaluated prior to packaging a student’s initial award and following each semester during which a student received federal financial aid. Official academic transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions must be on file at GCCC before an initial financial aid award are made.

Enrollment in 12 or more credit hours constitutes full-time; 9-11 credit hours constitutes three-quarter time; 6-8 credit hours constitutes half-time; and 1-5 credit hours constitutes less-than half-time enrollment for financial aid purposes. Student classification for the summer term is the same as during a semester.

Repeated coursework: Previously completed courses (with a grade of D or better) may be repeated only once for federal financial aid eligibility. Those seeking additional information regarding financial aid/scholarship processes should refer to the College website and/or contact the Financial Aid Office located in the Student and Community Services Center.